I lecture widely on issues related to science and technology policy and politics. Topics include:
- Politics of evidence and expertise in policymaking;
- Politics and regulation related to genetic technologies in the United States and Europe, including genetic testing and gene-editing interventions;
- Controversies over patents on life forms (including genetically engineered plants and animals, human genes and stem cells) in the United States and Europe;
- Social movement activism related to science, technology, and health, including patient advocacy;
- Strategies for assessing the ethical and social implications of emerging science and technology and for incorporating these assessments into science and technology policy (also known as responsible innovation and anticipatory governance); and
- Pursuing a career in science and technology policy.
My talks range from a more scholarly style to those meant for audiences outside my academic fields. I have listed some of my upcoming and recent academic talks below. You can also view a selection of my recent talks to scientific audiences and to policy communities, and view a full list of all of my talks on my CV.
Keynote speaker, 5th conference on the governance of emerging technologies, Arizona State University, May 2017.
Keynote Speaker, Conference on IP, ethics, and the market in an age of personalized medicine, Oxford University, June 2017.
Health Equity Symposium, San Francisco State University, November 2016.
European Association for the Social Studies of Science and Technology/Society for the Social Studies of Science Joint Meeting, Barcelona, Spain, August 2016.
Responsiveness in European Patenting Practices, Munich, Germany, 2016.
Keynote Speaker, STGlobal conference, Washington, DC, 2016.
Workshop on the Politics of Science and Innovation Policy, Brookings Institution, Washington, DC, 2016.
Trager Symposium, Brooklyn Law School, New York, NY, 2016.
Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, India, 2015.
History of Science Society meeting, San Francisco, California, 2015.
Society for the Social Studies of Science conference, Denver, Colorado, 2015.
Lyman-Briggs College, Michigan State University, Lansing, MI, 2015.
The Science Policy Interface: International Comparisons, Balsille School of International Affairs, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, 2014.
Institute for Policy and Management, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2014.
“Expertise, Justice, and Changing Legal Orders” Workshop, The Edmond J. Safra Center for Ethics, Tel Aviv University, Israel, 2013.